Right-wing funders and business industrialists David and Charles Koch may purchase the Tribune Company newspapers, which include the Chicago Tribune, Baltimore Sun, and the Los Angeles Times. The brothers are “interested in the clout they could gain through the Times’ editorial pages,” the Hollywood Reporter notes. Responding to the report, a spokesperson for Koch told the website that the brothers are “constantly exploring profitable opportunities in many industries and sectors”
The Koch brothers own Koch Industries, the second-largest private company in America, and fund a network of right-wing think tanks and organizations. In 2012, the brothers had pledged $60 million to defeat President Obama and even sent mailers to employees urging them to support Mitt Romney and other conservative candidates.
You should be scared. And this is why:
- The Koch brothers funds and supports an organization which thinks the Violence Against Women Act is “unconstitutional”.
- The same organization, called The Heritage Foundation, is known for being anti-gay and climate change denying, among other bigoted and delusional stands.
- Last year, Koch Industries Warned 45,000 Employees Of ‘Consequences’ If They Don’t Vote For Republicans.
- Koch Industries is one of top five corporate air polluters in the U.S.
- The Koch brothers have been accused of backing public school segregation, in 2009.
- The Koch brothers have no respect for Native American rights or lands.
- The Koch brothers also sympathize and help fund Tea Party rallies.
- ALEC, which is Koch funded, is responsible for drafting strict voter ID laws that have been known to exclude students, People of Color, the elderly, and low income citizens from the voting process.
- The Koch brothers are basically at war with Social Security.
In case that’s not enough:
- Koch Brothers Behind Wisconsin Effort To Kill Public Unions
- Koch, Exxon Mobil Among Corporations Helping Write State Laws
- Pipeline Climate Disaster: The Keystone XL Pipeline and Labor
- Koch Industries have spent $48.5 million since 1997 to fund the climate denial machine.
And that’s just off the top of my head. I encourage a reblog of this post and additions of the atrocities committed by the Koch empire.